Follow Your Dreams

Follow Your Dreams

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Book Review: The Search For Sunshine by L. Denet Stephens




The Search For Sunshine is a poignant yet compelling tale of  the dysfunctional life of a child who grew up ensconced in the instability of a life bridged between the foster care system and her extended family members.

As I read Sunshine's story of abuse and neglect I was drawn in to her experience and I cried for her and the countless other children subjected to an imperfect system, managed by mostly well-meaning individuals.

This is a story that should be read with the realization that it is not an isolated incident, but thankfully, it is not universal. Fortunately, Sunshine did encounter genuine people in her young life who managed to counter the negativity she experienced.

I highly recommend this book. I read it on my flight from Burbank to Atlanta. It is a quick read, but the effects will linger long after you have turned the final page.

Darlene Pryor

1 comment: